All Collections
Terms and policies
What laws and tax obligations apply to hosts?
What laws and tax obligations apply to hosts?

Here are some pointers to support your research.

Updated over a week ago

❗ Important

As a platform and online marketplace, Sinistar does not provide legal or financial advice. Moreover, Sinistar cannot be held responsible if you fail to fulfill your obligations—including those you may not have been aware of.

As a Sinistar host, you must comply with laws, rules, regulations and tax obligations that apply to you. It’s your responsibility to inform yourself and stay up to date. Remember: the rules may change and new obligations may come into effect at any time.

To help you in your research, here are some avenues to explore.

Your municipality

It may have regulations in place that limit or regulate temporary rentals. Ask the registry or urban planning department to find out.

🔎 For example

Your municipality's zoning by-law may prohibit temporary rentals in your area. Or you may need to obtain a permit to be allowed to do so. Usually this involves a fee.

Your co-ownership agreement

If you own a condo (divided co-ownership), check your co-ownership agreement to see if temporary rental is permitted in the building. Even if there are no restrictions, you may have to take steps with your condo association.

Rental Board

If you’re a tenant, you may have to take steps to sublet your accommodation. Visit the website of your local rental board to learn more.

Your insurer

Before renting your temporary accommodation, inform your insurer. Otherwise, it may refuse to compensate you for any damage or loss.

💁‍♂️ Good to know

To account for your temporary rental activity, your insurer may increase your home insurance premium. It could also change your coverage.

Tax authorities

You may have to collect sales taxes from your rentals and send them to the authorities. Check with Canada Revenue Agency and, if you're in Quebec, Revenu Québec.

⚠️ Important

Remember to declare your rental income when you file your tax return. It is added to your other income and is taxable.

Did this answer your question?