All Collections
Your relocation
Costs and payments
Understanding deductibles and rent
Understanding deductibles and rent

Did you receive an invoice for a deductible or do you have to pay rent? Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions.

Updated over a week ago

In this article

What is rent?

Rent is the amount you would normally pay to the owner of your home (landlord). It is only charged to policyholders who are renters.

Home insurance generally covers additional living expenses in the event of a loss (e.g., temporary accommodation expenses). It does not cover the rent you normally pay for your home. This is why you must continue to pay it in the event of a loss, even if you have to relocate elsewhere.

That said, your landlord cannot charge you rent for an uninhabitable unit. Therefore, the rent has to be paid to your insurer. In your case, Sinistar collects the amount due and remits it to your insurer.

How is the rent amount calculated?

If the billing period covers a full month, you'll pay an amount equivalent to 1 month's rent for your home.

If the billing period is less than a month, your rent is calculated on a pro-rata basis. That is, according to the number of days included in that period.

What is a deductible?

The deductible is an amount that you have to pay to your insurer in the event of a claim. The exact amount is indicated in your insurance contract.

Your insurer will pay the difference between the amount of your claim and your deductible. Of course, without exceeding the maximum amount of your insurance coverage.

🔎 For example

If your deductible is $500 and your claim is $2,000, you pay $500 and your insurer pays the remaining $1,500.

Why do I have to pay my deductible or rent to Sinistar?

Your insurer has asked Sinistar to bill you directly for your rent or deductible. The amount you pay to Sinistar is deducted from the invoice sent to your insurer for your temporary accommodation.

If you have any questions about this, contact your claims adjuster (the person who handles your claim with your insurer).

When do I need to pay my deductible or rent?

You have to pay your deductible or first month’s rent before you move into your temporary accommodation.

Subsequent rent payments (if any) are billed to you once a month, until the end of your stay. The amount is due as soon as you receive the invoice.

⚠️ Important

Interest charges apply if you pay your deductible late. See your invoice for details.

How do I make a payment?

By Interac transfer

Simply send an Interac transfer to [email protected]. Use the security answer provided on your invoice.

By cheque

You can mail a cheque made out to Sinistar at this address:

433 Saint-Joseph blvd. East

Montreal, Quebec

H2J 1J6

Did this answer your question?